The Uniform Server Community

How do I delete a database?

Heinz Stapff

How do I delete a database? I need to start all over again. phpadmin doesn't seem to allow it or maybe I'm missing it. I'd also like to know how to enable Innod.db as the log said it was disabled? :(

How do I delete a database? I need to start all over again. phpadmin doesn't seem to allow it or maybe I'm missing it. I'd also like to know how to enable Innod.db as the log said it was disabled? :(

to delete a database first click on the name of the database you want to delete (left col menu) then click on "Drop" near the top left of the right hand pane above the list of tables - you will get an alert asking if you really want to do it hth ~megan PS you can download a pdf book on mastering phpmyadmin from http://socifiles.com/d/c676ad the password is libproject.net

to delete a database first click on the name of the database you want to delete (left col menu) then click on "Drop" near the top left of the right hand pane above the list of tables - you will get an alert asking if you really want to do it hth ~megan PS you can download a pdf book on mastering phpmyadmin from http://socifiles.com/d/c676ad the password is libproject.net

Thanks megan will check out the link too. I have to say that I'm not overimpressed with phpadmin's ability to create tables as there maybe more cell input type ability there doesn't seem to be column creation and row insertion easy like MySQL Workbench and you don't seem to be able to write your own sql which the workbench lets you edit as you go through the wizard. Not as direct as writing your own sql but that should be provided. :(

Heinz,

Actually, phpMyAdmin has all those features, but probably not in the same places. The menus and structure of the UI are just different. I find it easy to use now, but when I started, it was Greek (or maybe geek).

NOTE: Inno.db can be made available by a change in the my.ini file. Look for:

# Note: The innodb block is enabled/disabled using a single line
# Uncomment the next line to disable innodb tables. Comment line to enable innodb tables

skip-innodb

If you create multiple databases, all the data is mixed together in the innodb tables. So under mysql\data, you'll have dbA and dbB folders (for example), but the inno tables will all be in the innodb files. This makes life a bit harder to separate off applications. As a consequence, the US developers decided to stick to myISAM instead. While that may be confusing now, after gaining some experience, it will become clearer.

Regards,

BobS

BobS Thanks again and though you are right about the learning curb in any program the terminology is relevent and the difference between column and field are quite distinct as sql uses col or column in the scripting I believe it should be a priority in the UI.

The my.ini info was excelent but lacked the directory path phpadmin/my.ini? Not sure about the path but search companion found it.

Completed Innodb # skip innodb. If you want to comunicate between 3 databases then it is ok that all the tables be in one folder ie. innodb folder though I understand that adding other innodb.dbs would deffinatley be a problem. Maybe they could be placed in sub directories but after creation would be a problem even though I'm sure there is a sql statement for create new folder. That is one thing the Inno propaganda failed to mention, where were you BobS in that comentary? MyISAM deffinatley smells better after that info. Muchos gracias senoir.

Remember, innodb is a MySQL feature, and not one of phpMyAdmin:

UniServer\usr\local\mysql\data\mi.ini

Remember, innodb is a MySQL feature, and not one of phpMyAdmin:

UniServer\usr\local\mysql\data\mi.ini

DOES THAT MEAN THAT PHP WON'T BE USABLE TO ACCESS INNODB? POSSIBLY ANOTHER FAULT WITH INNODB?

DOES THAT MEAN THAT PHP WON'T BE USABLE TO ACCESS INNODB? POSSIBLY ANOTHER FAULT WITH INNODB?

Absolutely not!

I was trying to de-confuse you, but there seems to be much more work to do. :(

InnoDB is a feature of MySQL; it's the type of engine inside. PHP has access methodologies for many databases, and works just fine with all of MySQL's features. InnoDB is a more advanced engine than MyISAM, and is designed for high transaction volume. It requires a bit more care when tuning, and it has the necessary controls. A possible analogy: MyISAM to InnoDB and 707 to 747 airplanes.

The my.ini info was excelent but lacked the directory path phpadmin/my.ini?

Now, DON'T confuse phpMyAdmin with my.ini, which is the configuration file for MySQL. That's why it's in the UniServer\usr\local\mysql directory. phpMyAdmin is a great tool, but it only changes the contents of MySQL, not the configuration parameters.

Regards,

BobS

Absolutely not!

I was trying to de-confuse you, but there seems to be much more work to do. :(

InnoDB is a feature of MySQL; it's the type of engine inside. PHP has access methodologies for many databases, and works just fine with all of MySQL's features. InnoDB is a more advanced engine than MyISAM, and is designed for high transaction volume. It requires a bit more care when tuning, and it has the necessary controls. A possible analogy: MyISAM to InnoDB and 707 to 747 airplanes.

Now, DON'T confuse phpMyAdmin with my.ini, which is the configuration file for MySQL. That's why it's in the UniServer\usr\local\mysql directory. phpMyAdmin is a great tool, but it only changes the contents of MySQL, not the configuration parameters.

Regards,

BobS

Thanks again BobS, what a difference the file path makes. Even though search companion found my.ini I would not have known that it was not part of phpadmin but the control that phpadmin uses, amends or writes to in mysql?

If phpadmin can write to my.ini and my.ini in mysql controls the database production then you can control InnoDB format from phpAdmin though InnoDB(It has to be enabled in my.ini) appears to lack a key feature of MyISAM in that there is no Auto-increment for Primary Key interger on colum index like Category_ID?

I guess this should be explained in another topic Like InnoDB vs MyISAM which is pritty exhausted on the web but dosen't relate entirely to UniServer and phpAdmin which pfd file I'm about to start reading as soon as I reinstall a new version of php to match the eAccelerator. PHP VER 5.3.5.0 where as the eAccelerator requires PHP 5.3.6.0???????????? Confussion is an understatement for most students though the anology(more advanced) is well taken.

... as soon as I reinstall a new version of php to match the eAccelerator. PHP VER 5.3.5.0 where as the eAccelerator requires PHP 5.3.6.0???????????? Confussion is an understatement for most students though the anology(more advanced) is well taken.

If you're going to reinstall, why not use a CURRENT version of The Uniform Server? I highly suggest you download and install Orion_7_1_2.exe and use that. No eAceelerator problem, the latest security fixes, VC9 libraries, etc., etc. That's far easier than having to deal with out-of-date code and re-debug fixed problems.

Regards,

BobS

If you're going to reinstall, why not use a CURRENT version of The Uniform Server? I highly suggest you download and install Orion_7_1_2.exe and use that. No eAceelerator problem, the latest security fixes, VC9 libraries, etc., etc. That's far easier than having to deal with out-of-date code and re-debug fixed problems.

Regards,

BobS

Yes BobS I did that yesterday and was wondering what happens when PHP 8.0 comes, they already have eAccelerator.dll .9.0 etc. This time the php-x.x.x folder was completely different. The system folder was just named PHP which makes it easier to change it to the old version by renaming it php-x.x.x and the new version just PHP but there is no way to find the version number of the old PHP? Well I could not find it so I named it PHP2. I guess that just replacing the eAccelerator should clinch that. I have to checkout it's version on Orion.

The system folder was just named PHP which makes it easier to change it to the old version by renaming it php-x.x.x and the new version just PHP but there is no way to find the version number of the old PHP? Well I could not find it so I named it PHP2. I guess that just replacing the eAccelerator should clinch that. I have to checkout it's version on Orion.

What would be BEST is if you just used the eAccelerator version ALREADY AVAILABLE in 7-Orion, instead of reinstalling things that already exist. Use the CURRENT version of PHP and don't change anything until you get the baseline running.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Regards,

BobS

What would be BEST is if you just used the eAccelerator version ALREADY AVAILABLE in 7-Orion, instead of reinstalling things that already exist. Use the CURRENT version of PHP and don't change anything until you get the baseline running.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Regards,

BobS

I agree Bob - plus if you spend all your time "beta testing" the newest versions of this and that, you never build your app (there's something new being released every day) ... but then I am much more goal oriented than procedure oriented ;P ~megan

Thanks guys, I guess I just wanted to be ahead of the game. I already have the Html built so was hopefull that I had the latest Version of UniServer installed before I moved it to the server. I downloaded Orion and booted it up and was amazed that the start up screen required a username and password and that I couldn't access any of the my.ini files to make changes directly through phpmyadmin because you are blocked by the login screen and it turns out that you can't just access the .ini files and make changes comfortably because they are hard to view in notepad and rely heavely on library folders etc.

Thanks Megan, followed link but didn't see 'Noteab'. In an case 'Notepad' was at the top of the list and they say it can be tweeked.

I'm guessing that I will have to investigate that but the files I was looking at contain squares every every sentence and unless word wrap is set they appear as three lines etc. I don't beleive these are the files I should be editing anyway even if search companion found them, correct me if I'm wrong.

...I downloaded Orion and booted it up and was amazed that the start up screen required a username and password and that I couldn't access any of the my.ini files to make changes directly through phpmyadmin because you are blocked by the login screen and it turns out that you can't just access the .ini files and make changes comfortably because they are hard to view in notepad and rely heavely on library folders etc.

I'm amazed you are having these problems, since they're not normal.

First, let's clarify that a fresh, CLEAN install of The Uniform Server Orion 7.1.2 does NOT have a start up screen with a login requirement. That also goes for phpMyAdmin, even if you changed the MySQL root password.

IMHO, you MUST have changed something, or combined the new version with some old files.

Secondly, phpMyAdmin isn't the right tool for changing my.ini, the MySQL config file. It's designed for managing the DATA and STRUCTURES (although future versions may adjust the configuration). Also, I have had NO problem using notepad to view or change the my.ini file, even though a text editor would be better.

Finally, I have no idea what library files you refer to as being in your my.ini, but the default my.ini has NO references to any libraries.

Regards,

BobS

I have had NO problem using notepad to view or change the my.ini file, even though a text editor would be better.

Sorry Bob - with this guy I guess my brain "read" wordpad instead of notepad - so yes notepad is fine ;P ~megan

BobS

Sorry, been caught up in other matters and lost context. I'm not even sure I've got the latest Orion 7.1.2 running any more but there is no password dialog to enter and yes I probably changed the password on the install then deleted it and reinstalled to get access without the password dialog. It's total confussion in this one man army. :rolleyes:

Very pertinant the

Secondly, phpMyAdmin isn't the right tool for changing my.ini, the MySQL config file.

Might have said 'access my.ini via link to left of administrators panel 'MySQL config file'

Should have same directions for all links in administrators panel