The Uniform Server Community

Mysql username 'root'- server V5-Nano

jeret

Hi guys, I have my uniform server V5-Nano up and running. In my security center all the status is secure.

I need to know is it possible to change my mysql username 'root'. How do I do it?

Will this action improve my security?

Thank you.. ;)

Jeret Christopher WEB DESIGNER

Great question, Jeret.

I checked this out a while back, and at that time, the answer was "yes and no." Yes you could do it, but it's a real pain and isn't necessary.

In reality, it's just like any other system that allows for multiple user accounts. Would you remove the Administrator account from your Windows machine? Probably not, but you *could* rename it to "admin" or "addy," right? In any case you DO need an account that has administration rights.

Now, in UniServer, root is the account that ties MySQL, phpMyAdmin and the UniServer admin control together for MySQL. If you'd like to change or redesign it, feel free, but it sure will make updates a challenge.

What is most practical IMHO is to put a really good password on root, then restrict access to the tools that use it to be only from the local machine. This means you actually have to be logged in to the controlling account before it will display your login screen.

Hope that's clear, ;)

BobS

Great question, Jeret.

I checked this out a while back, and at that time, the answer was "yes and no." Yes you could do it, but it's a real pain and isn't necessary.

In reality, it's just like any other system that allows for multiple user accounts. Would you remove the Administrator account from your Windows machine? Probably not, but you *could* rename it to "admin" or "addy," right? In any case you DO need an account that has administration rights.

Now, in UniServer, root is the account that ties MySQL, phpMyAdmin and the UniServer admin control together for MySQL. If you'd like to change or redesign it, feel free, but it sure will make updates a challenge.

What is most practical IMHO is to put a really good password on root, then restrict access to the tools that use it to be only from the local machine. This means you actually have to be logged in to the controlling account before it will display your login screen.

Hope that's clear, ;)

BobS

Hi BobS,

It makes more sense now. Thank you... :o

Jeret Christopher WEB DESIGNER