The Uniform Server Community

How to turn on display_errors

Heinz Stapff

Not sure but when I run Apache and Msql as programs in D: Then enter http localhost/index.html in the next tab I get My Index page but no errors showup. When I CLICK on the index.html file in D:/UniServer/www it opens and reports errors. I'm wondering how or if I should turn it on? The error that shows up when I use the click method on the index.html after I click one of it's links is 'Access Denied' but I'm not getting the error when I enter the page through the localhost browser input. The link addevent onclick runs two functions, one that changes the logo image and another that makes a sql call to a database and table that I have in mysql. The logo changes but no db info or error shows up unless I opened the index.html by clicking on it in the www folder. :)

In any case I'm getting pissed off that UniServer is not helping me learn Ajax OR sql without a complete run around. :rolleyes:

I have returned my crystal ball and obtained a refund. Reason for returning! It would not display your index.html code. It also was incapable of displaying your two functions “onclick runs two functions”.

Seriously there is not enough information to help you.

Double clicking on index.html will directly run the page in your default browser (server is bypassed)

Running the page by typing http://localhost/index.html into your browser Apache immediately servers the page as is, with no processing.

If you change file extension to php entering http://localhost/index.php into your browser Apache will pass the content to the PHP processor for processing and server the resulting page.

Coral I'm not sure but I guess your telling me I have to convert my index.html page into index.php before the server acctually processes anything correctly.

I,m also guessing you're right when you say there isn't enough information, though I don't think the UniServer team would advertise that you have to convert all your html to php to get the full benifit of the server.

Unfortunatley I did not have any choice as I deleted ISS and visual studio programing from my original WIN XP PRO SP3 and Microsoft hasn't provided a way to reload them without the disc and often regards systems without them as illegal copies.

I really didn't understand how big a part of the OS those components where.

Even the pdf file Mastering phpMyAdmin seems to fall short in describing how you change PHP =values. I'm guessing your going to be locked into PHP one way or the other. The language selection is just a part of the browser OS war and Dom vs MS model.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are saying that I need to convert my index.html into index.php? No pun on the? intended. Something I never got wind of.

Heinz,

It looks like you have gotten too far ahead of yourself here.

First, I suggest you set up a new, separate install of US, like D:\basic\UniServer. Then DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING in it. Use this ONLY to look over all the code, especially www\index.php. Study how it works, and solutions to several of your problems will become obvious. You can then make a COPY of that server directory, changing the name and then make whatever changes you wish, step-by-step.

Look at the application plug-ins for examples of fully configured apps. Install one, like WordPress, and look over the MySQL connection information. There's a LOT of information in the Wiki you really must read.

Secondly, one of the features of The Uniform Server is to switch between development and production PHP configs. Do a left-click on the tray icon, then choose Advanced. You'll see "php.ini switch to Development", which will copy php.ini_development_nano to php.ini. After restarting Apache, this will display all errors to the screen.

This is all covered in excruciating detail in the Wiki.

Finally, it's not The Uniform Server's charter to be a tutorial system. Rather it is a straight-forward and compact implementation of EXISTING components, namely Apache, MySQL, PHP and some glue to hold them together. It is a great base for all sorts of testing, but there are no lesson plans included.

Regards,

BobS

BobS

Thanks for the response. Will try everything you said and the Wiki. Frustration with fatal error on the div change this morning made me check out a lot but if phpinfo() shows php configure file path=c/windows then it's not going to work anyway. I checked the php.ini and PHPINdir on Apache and found that all was directed corectly and uncommented etc. :rolleyes: