The Uniform Server Community

IP Going To Default Gateway

Adorable Bunny

Since I got a new computer I haven't been able to get UniServer to work (same with my boyfriend). Whenever I access my IP it goes to my Home Gateway. I've tried fiddling around with files, and I've done exactly the same things from when I set up UniServer on my old computer (edited access file, unblocked port etc), but my server still can't be accessed by other people.

Is there a way around this problem? Or a step by step userguide to see if I'm missing out any setup steps?

Not a major priority at the moment, just procrastinating (currently on exam study leave) :angry:

That's right ;) I actually did that before but I totally forgot about my DHCP IP address changing because of getting a new computer. It was forwarding to my old IP :angry: Thank you, works now ;)

One last question though, can you only access the website via local host on your own machine or is there a way to use your WAN IP? I remember last time trying to configure Mambo via local host wouldn't load properly (images not showing, not being to submit admin changes via the Mambo admin panel), but other people accessing from my IP could see it perfecfly.

If you use your WAN IP for the setup and the domain address, it should work file for both you and outsiders.

To get the address, go to http://whatismyip.com

And you set the right configuration in your router? Please note that this is actally from your router.. what router do you have/link to the site.

I think I have the right configurations, I added another mapped port using my WAN IP as well as the DHCP but it still won't work on my WAN one. This is my router.

MAPPED PORTS

ID Public Port Private Port Port Type Host IP Address

8 80 80 TCP 60.234.144.75 (WAN, can't access)

9 80 80 TCP 192.168.1.173 (DHCP, can access)

Reading up about my router I noticed:

Q. I have set up a server (e.g. a web server) on a machine in my LAN but I can't access it.

A. NAT will not allow you to access your server on it's realworld IP address from within your local area network, you will need to test it either from another location, or via a dialup internet connection.

Is that the problem?

What's messing your settings up is that because you're using dhcp, your computer's local ip address changes every time you log on. What you need to do is go into the network settings, and configure a static ip on your network for your computer, then set your router to forward port 80 to that address. Try doing that and see if it works.

Don't tell me you forgot to do that Adorable Bunny? ;) But wait, even if she didn't, she should not be getting a Router Page, but a error page, and even so, the outsiders wont be able to see it.

Do it if you haven't, but i do not think thats the problem because people from outside can see but but in-network can't.

Haha :P Well I didn't do that because with the DHCP server for the ISP I'm with they use automatic allocation I persume not dynamic so my DHCP IP doesn't change everytime I log on, just if I install a new network card (so I'd be a new client).

Although I did try configuring me network settings as said above, and it worked *wink* The only drawback was that I couldn't access the internet anymore lol. I tried fiddling with the settings more but I'm no network genius, so I went back to my orginal settings.

And I don't think I can disable NAT on my router, I looked through the settings though I couldn't find an option to disable it.

Though I've decided not to worry about not being able to access it with my WAN IP or use any scripts that require an absolute address :P localhost is groovy :) Sorry for the fuss ;) And thank you for all the help ;)

Keep up the great work too!