The Uniform Server Community

phpmyadmin access denied

Joe_K

Just installed 8.0.0 on Windows XP SP3

Couple of problems, maybe PHP problems?

1. I cannot get phpmyadmin to launch. I get

Error

MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

2. When I browse to http://localhost I get the expected splash page. After changing the .htaccess file to permit intranet LAN access to the test "server", I get some of the content, but in a chucky text-ish presentation, almost as though the php engine is not serving content other than to local host.

Thoughts on fixing these? I did not encounter these hiccups with 7.1.x UniServer.

thanks!

Joe

To follow up, I just changed the password for user "root" back to the insecure default of "root" and now phpmyadmin launches just fine.

Is there more to the password change than using the US controller option?

Server still not "serving" php via intranet, only works on localhost.

thx, Joe

Further data:

In C:\UniServer\home\us_phpmyadmin I edited THAT .htaccess file to allow Intranet access for phpmyadmin. Worked fine from LAN connection, including proper rendering of the php. Weird. Splash page still rendering fine on localhost, not on LAN connection.

I'm puzzled!

thanks,

Joe

Yeah, there's lots more.

Since you're using Coral 8, I suggest you use the Server Configuration > General > Root phpMyAdmin Change access type

and

General > Root www Change passwords and access

These will resolve most all your access problems.

FYI, there are several .htaccess files and you will want to look at these:

-UniServer\Home\us_phpmyadmin This guards phpMyAdmin

-UniServer\Home\us_splash This restricts the CSS for non-localhost access. Use this to see the splash page on locations other than localhost.

Now, you COULD read the included docs that describe all of this.:)

When you say it "doesn't serve php via Internet," what do you really mean? If you see a splash page, then PHP is working.

Regards,

BobS

Yeah, there's lots more.

Since you're using Coral 8, I suggest you use the Server Configuration > General > Root phpMyAdmin Change access type

and

General > Root www Change passwords and access

Actually, I have restricted all changes to the tools provided with Coral 8 (as you note above). It was the changing of the MySQL password to something other than "root/root" via the install prompts that seemed to not work correctly. Changing back to root/root, and THEN changing to root/<password> using Server Configuration > General > MySQL > Change Password seems to work fine. Something wrong with the execution via the initial nag prompts? In any event, it seems to be resolved now.

FYI, there are several .htaccess files and you will want to look at these:

-UniServer\Home\us_phpmyadmin This guards phpMyAdmin

-UniServer\Home\us_splash This restricts the CSS for non-localhost access. Use this to see the splash page on locations other than localhost.

I was familiar with the UniServer\Home\us_phpmyadmin .htaccess. Thanks for the tip on the us_splash page access control. The us_splash_garbled.jpg is what I see via INTRAnet (LAN) when I browse to the Coral 8 server WITHOUT changing the .htaccess settings for the us_splash path.

Question: Is the splash page supposed to show the version of each component of UniServer? I thought it did, even earlier today, but now it's showing a simpler message "this is test page index.php from folder /www", etc. I have attached a screenshot. Is this the expected splash page, and I'm just remembering the one from Orion 7 (also attached)?

Now, you COULD read the included docs that describe all of this.:)

When you say it "doesn't serve php via Internet," what do you really mean? If you see a splash page, then PHP is working.

Well, I've spent a lot of time in the online documentation at:

http://wiki.uniformserver.com/index.php/Coral:_Introduction

Is there a more detailed set of documentation? I'm a big fan of RTM, once I find it!

See above for my attempt to indicate what I thought was happening with the garbled splash page from the Intranet. I probably misspoke myself :-)

thanks!

Joe

post-5574-1326149401_thumb.jpg

post-5574-1326149412_thumb.jpg

post-5574-1326149485_thumb.jpg

Great, glad to hear you got it running right. The key to the garbled page is that the CSS is in a different subdirectory from the index.php file. Because there are two different .htaccess files guarding the directories, it creates this situation. The us-splash .htaccess must allow the same access as the www .htaccess.

Note that Coral-8 has ALL the docs. Use the link on the Unicontroller (Server Documentation) to get to it. We worked hard to get it accurate and complete.

There are two different info pages displayed by The Uniform Server at different times. The initial splash page is called only when Apache starts (and you can modify this action). It lists the primary components and their revision numbers (manually updated, I might add). If you stop and restart Apache, you'll see the splash page again. The second is the index.php file in the server root (www), which you can initiate with the View www button. This is the one that has ad hoc links to all your subdirectories and php files.

The Server configuration > General > Root www - Change passwords and access doesn't yet know about the secondary .htaccess files, like in us_spash, and we may need to just duplicate the style and images folders to resolve this mess.

Regards,

BobS