The Uniform Server Community

Uniform Server 4.0

olajideolaolorun

I'm sorry for being away too long and not having time to reply to everyone's post and threads on the forum, and not being here to give you updates on the server development. Lately, life has had me on a short leash and I bearly have time to do the things i used to do.

I opened this thread because i want to know what you 'the users/community' want in the next and upcoming version of the server. The next version, Version 4.0 is going to be a big bang! If you think 3.3 was a major development, wait till you see this one. I am trying to get ideas from everyone, so please feel free to let it all out.

What do you think of Apache 2.2 (if it can be mobilized), do you want it in the next version? PHP 5.2.0? What other useful softwares do you want us to check out....

The vision for 4.0 is a little different than others. The world is evolving now and though some people are yes, still stuck with phone modems and connection, we are still going to keep the size of the server small. The new idea, is to have make the server totally patchable. Patchable enough to be mobile so that you can install patches and plugin that will make your working experience better.

There are somethings we do not add to the server that other WAMP packages have, so in our effort to fight back, we are going to be launching a massive plugin blowout after the release of this version. We are currently working on up to about 20 major plugins and some more things are being added. Want ASP.NET, how about Mod_mono, want JSP, how about Tomcat and Resin!

So please post away....

Welcome back Olajide I would like add my sixth penith, my comments may seem obvious however if not stated will never be recorded.

1) It must remain a production server with all security in place straight out of the box.

2) No extraneous bells or whistles by this I mean if you buy a washing machine that has a thousand and one programs and you only use three tops you are catering for a sales person and not the end user.

3) All goodies that are bolted on shall work with no interaction problems and work across all platforms stated.

Well my friend 1) and 2) extremely hard work but not impossible. Three poses an intellectual and logistics challenge, software compatible and testing on all platforms for that number of plugins? Laying down such a gauntlet will be fun. Well I am game will be interesting to see what the real requirement spec is.

All the best

Mike

:)

• 1 month later...

Discovered the uniserver package and have been using uniserver 3.3 since its release...

execellent ...well done. Llike the clean admin/management interface.

Would apreciate very much the following for version 4.

1. Application services currently active or idle...show status info display for...

mysql application port

ftp application port

smtp application port

cgi if enabled

ssi if enabled

2. Listing of installed support apps and component versions...

php, perl & python, etc

3. Include portal application like Joomla & others in the core OR the option to install from the admin menu.

Many thanks for a great product and look forward to the next release.

Best wishes for 2007

• 4 weeks later...

mail() funtion, will be used using Fake Sendmail... allow you to connect you a SMTP Server like hMailServer.

SQL 4 and 5, maybe a downgrade plugin...??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
What do you think of Apache 2.2 (if it can be mobilized), do you want it in the next version? PHP 5.2.0? What other useful softwares do you want us to check out....

I definitly think Apache should be up to date, as should the PHP5 version. That said, since most web hosts sadly still only offer PHP4, it's also imperative to keep an up to date and easily swappable version of PHP4 on the server too.

As far as all the other addons, I think it might be better to keep them off the actual version, and simply provide mods for their use on the website, since most people, myself included, only need a WAMP, not all that extra jazz.

What an ace post dimo414

I definitly think Apache should be up to date, as should the PHP5 version.

Absolutely agree, and then you go on to this:

That said, since most web hosts sadly still only offer PHP4,

Are! So no flash things with turbo spin!

As far as all the other addons, I think it might be better to keep them off the actual version,

Now we are talking size!

since most people, myself included, only need a WAMP, not all that extra jazz.

Who are these “most” people! Well I am one of those people, no spin, why does this not fit on a floppy (size). I have designed my new site using UniServer version # and my provider has not upgraded. Hey now it’s your server you can do what you like and use what ever like.

To the UniServer team:

Sadly in the UK we get ****all, no PHP or MySQL as standard, want a server script “yep free site counter! Well”. Run your own scripts, no problem, now you need a business account, upgrade extra dosh. What! You need to run out of safe mode, no problem that’s gold class business account, more dosh. Are! Did you really want that MySQL thing; we only offer IIS, it’s in the small print! Ho dear you are locked into a twelve-month agreement. Sorry our systems are proven and are reliable MySQL 1.001 and PHP 0.001 have served the industry for as long as the Internet was invented.

OK, a little exaggerated but the point is, give us something that works, clean, neat and tidy. If we need to be cleaver restrict us to local, remember that when we publish; service providers are restrictive.

Then again we do need to use the new techno stuff an interesting balancing act!

Please not for the sales person or the sound bit, but for real users.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well dimo, all what you said is what we plan on doing... All the mods are actually going to be made plugins, so you can also download them, patch it up and ready to roll... and as always, no registry dust, and keeping it simple and mobile.

Another thing is we know some users that want the registry dust, so we are still thinking of having something like that on the side, depends... time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think everything here is already done. With all the work and new features i have added to the Server, i wonder what to do for 4.0. hmm, maybe AJAX, that ought to be another task... since the admin panel is feature packed!

Well everything here is done and most of the plugin are in development/probably done and just waiting for installers except for mod_mono and Apache 2.2.

Those will probably be saved to give 4.0 some additional new features, :rolleyes:

Good Night... let me go start dreaming of what to put in 4.0 to make it extraordinare :(

Can't wait :rolleyes:, looking forward to it. I use US everyday :lol:

ATOMIC Web Hosting 2007 - 2011

Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Virtual Private Servers (Request Dedicated/VPS Servers via E-mail)

E-mail: sales@atomicwebhosting.com Website: http://www.atomicwebhosting.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned it before. But I want to mention it an other time.

I'm builduing website with the beautifull cms XOOPS and sometime struggle with XOOPS modules. The problem I often face is the incompaddebility with PHP versions and mySQL version.

So my requests are a switch with makes it easy to switch between PHP 4 and PHP 5 end another switch that makes it possible to easily switch between mwSQL versions. Some other standalone servers have it (XSAS and wamp) but I prefer working with UniformServer :lol:

Problem in the Netherlands is that there are lots of superp hostign companies that don't upgrade to apache 2, PHP 5 and mySQL 5. So the switches can make it easy to check if systems are working with both te versions.

ImpressCMS - making a lasting impression!!

Personal website

Yeah, we are working on a plugin for that, but switching, we will have to see... Could cause problems..... especially since we are a mobile server, but could be possible.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Uniform Server 3.3 until I discovered 3.5 recently. I like the new Unicontroller. I use the server mainly for testing purposes and wish that at sometimes I could mimic what I have on my hosted server.

Maybe in the Unicontroller you could have checkboxes for the different versions of Apache (last 1. version and latest 2. version) also do the same with php and mySQL. I know that would mean a larger overall package, but it would help in some ways.

Also would be nice if when we closed the little box telling us server is active, the unicontroller would close also??

I think to make the Uniform Server package as flexible as possible you should have one package that has only the WAMP items (Apache, MySQL, and PHP all up to date of course) and nothing else. Then have easy to use plugins to add more functionality. So if you want to have PHP 4 instead of 5 you just download the PHP 4 Plugin package and extract it to the root of your server set up.

You guys are already thinking, or trying to make that package download manager, so if you could get that operational for the 4.0 release everything would be awesome.

IPB Image

Metaltailz, that is exactly what we are doing for 4.0. Plus everything will be available as a plugin... which you can download and install to the Uniform Server.

PHP 4... PHP 5... MySQL...

• 3 months later...

Hi

Am I to late to add a comment for US Version 4, :P if so make this an early request for the next major release. :P

The following suggestion is put forward from the stance of a small business user who will only have a cursory interest in the technical construction of the product and who are unlikely to have the technical expertise available to manipulate the system themselves. Therefore, any solution that makes the system customisation easier must enhance the usability and appeal of the product.

It appears to me that there will always be features that some users want that US will not have, and conversely, there is a danger that features will get built in that other users would prefer not to have.

A potential solution, that would also satisfy the (technically naive?) small business user, would be to provide a package that is driven by a config file that allows modules to be included / excluded dynamically, or even MS fashion at the next load. I can imagine the reaction to this suggestion as I guess this would not be an easy route to adopt. However, it would allow users to configure their system exactly as they wanted it.

It would seem to me, that the addition of such a flexible mechanism would significantly enhance the appeal of Uniform Server as a product, and would allow subsequent modules to be added more readily.

Consider this as a post from one of the technically niave. :P

Cheers

Tarka

=====================================

Future solutions have their roots in the past.

Not sure what to say! It’s the grain of rice doubled on a chessboard scenario.

The core components must remain easy to use, when overlaying any additional components either to enhance marketing ability or functionality must not impact on the core functionality.

I am not being negative, take Apache, self-contained, now run it on every OS you can think off. Tweak to make it OS compliant, this assumes there are no other programs installed on the machines that may or will conflict.

Add MySQL and perform the same tests and probably a few more tweaks only this time to both components.

So we are fully operational and add that new games program, well your servers worked fine yesterday! But now crash, you have only moved a few squares on that chessboard, suppose the grains of rice are keeping your feet warm.

What I am trying to say, every component you add needs to be fully tested, not only on the machine you use with its combination of software, but with a vast array of other machines and their mysterious components. Move up a few squares, now you are shoulders deep in rice.

The utopian ideal is to have a matrix of available server versions with corresponding programmes, allowing you to pick and mix to create your server installation. Not only a logistics nightmare but also a small problem of moving fifty squares on that chessboard, do the calculations, I am sure China would be happy to have that amount of rice. It’s that testability that is required, could take the ms route, put it in the public domain and make a fortune.

I think to put it into perspective; I saw one line of code that floored me, missed because it was not tested.

All the bets

Ric. :P

Hi Ric

I found your post illuminating and thought provoking. As a result it prompted the following. :P

For the purposes of illustration I will use the Car as an example. I guess that this process started life with the Ford Sierra seeing as how I know it as the Sierra principle. It is also referred to as “Features and Options”. Its objective was to allow every vehicle going down a production line to be unique, albeit a variant of the same model.

A specific model of car is sold today in many different variants, e.g. 3 engines, 3 transmissions, 3 body styles, 5 trims ..... You get the idea. If we take the numbers above 3 * 3 * 3 * 5, we finish up with 135 different end products from 14 major components. Admittedly, the numbers of variants can become massive very quickly. However, If we consider the relationship of three body styles and three engines, we have 9 interfaces, i.e. (9 different kits of parts to bolt any engine into any body shell) this is worst case, and if it happened in real life the designer would most probably be fired. If we repeat the process for the engine / transmission relationship we have a further 9 interfaces.

The solution to the car build issue was the structuring of the "Bill Of Materials" eg how the parts are grouped such that a specific vehicle could be represented by a specific list of part kits.

So where are we now. I believe that there is a parallel between the building of a car and a custom version of US. In building the code for US, the kits of parts = blocks of code. The difficultly lies in designing structured code that truly additive, such that it enables the total code to be amassed without gaps or overlaps. The process of mixing and matching the blocks of code can be contained in an appropriate form of conditional logic. I have seen a project run along these lines, where the source code was held in a modular form, and the final source file(s) were built using some custom code in Emacs.

I am not suggesting that this process is easy, as it requires the application of automotive technology to the generation of software. However, I am convinced that it is achievable, albeit, difficult.

It is worth remembering that the route to success is seldom easy.

Cheers

Tarka

=====================================

Future solutions have their roots in the past.

Hi Tarka

I absolutely agree “achievable, albeit, difficult” and “It is worth remembering that the route to success is seldom easy” that was the whole point of my little rant.

All the best

Ric :P