The Uniform Server Community

phpMyAdmin "broken", need access to database tables data

Cossino

I am teaching a class on CMS at the local college, and all 13 students have been using Uniform Server 5.0 with their joomla installations. Thanks for sharing such a great product!!

Here is my issue. For two of the students, phpMyAdmin has "stopped working". Not sure why the errors...lots of troubleshooting but no resolution.

All they need to do at this point in the class is to export their database, so they can import it to a live web server account. Do due the short time we have left to work on this particular project, I am looking for the fastest way to extract their database tables, so we can get their live web server accounts finished.

Can you tell me where those database files are, somewhere in the Uniform Server file structure? I am sure they are there somewhere.

I am wondering if it is possible to bypass phpMyAdmin in order to get their database tables data, so we can import them to the live web server.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, not sure if this is the correct topic to post this question in...

Vicky

The database tables are stored in folder:

UniServer\usr\local\mysql\data\joomla

Back-up option 1

On a know working server with joomla (ensure you can back-up from phpMyAdmin)

Rename the joomla folder to joomla2 (allows you to restore this later by renaming it back to joomla)

From a students machine copy the folder joomla and all its content to the working server.(copy to folder UniServer\usr\local\mysql\data)

Run the server and perform a backup using phpMyAdmin.

Delete folder joomla and repeat for second student’s data.

Back-up option 2

You require file mysqldump.exe unfortunately Uniform Server 5.0 does not contain this file however the one in 5.6.3 will work.

Download Uniform Server 5.6.3 extract to any folder.

Copy file UniServer\usr\local\mysql\bin\mysqldump.exe

To the same location (UniServer\usr\local\mysql\bin) on each students machine

On the students machine create a new file named dump.bat

in folder UniServer\usr\local\mysql\bin

with the following content:

mysqldump -uroot -proot joomla > sql.dump

Note: I am assuming password and name both root (if different change accordingly)

Run servers then double click on dump.bat

Wait for the dump to complete.

A new file is created UniServer\usr\local\mysql\bin\sql.dump

On the target server create a new joomla database and run the above file to create and populate the tables.

Hope this is of some help

All the best

Ric :)

Ric,

That was a HUGE help! Thanks so much.

We retrieved the folder with the database info from the students with the non-working phpMyAdmins, and placed it into the same location on a working Uniform Server.

Then, opened phpMyAdmin in the working server, and viola!, there was the database in all it's splendor! Exported that as an .sql file, then used that to transfer the database tables to the live web server.

By the end of class today, ALL students had working joomla (and wordpress) installations on the live server accounts.

Again, thank you! It was very simple to do.

Regards,

Vicky